Hello all!
Do not fear, I did receive your package last week. I saw it when I got my other mail, asked if it was mine, I was told by our zone leaders it was not, but then Elder Penman gave it to me as we where leaving the internet cafe last week. Dankie vir die lekker koos. [Is he trying to say ‘thank you for the package’ in Afrikaans? Google translate says ‘thank you for the pet’ — well at least he is trying!] It was actually very inspired, because Skittles and Peanut Butter Cups are hard to be found here in South Africa. And the propel powder has been very nice as well. I loved the heart attacks too, those where some awesome quotes and they are hanging above my desk.
This week was pretty awesome. Going to Cape Town for training was a treat. We had not been very well informed on what exactly the schedule was, and we assumed we were staying in the mission home, so we didn’t bring any bedding or towels, which kinda sucked cause we where actually staying with other missionaries. The missionaries we stayed with was Elder Khoni and his trainer, which was sooo awesome [Elder Khoni was with Kaleb in the SAMTC].
Me and Elder Khoni went and taught some lessons just us, which was a little scary, but really fun as well. I love that kid and it was great to see him again. They work in Gugulethu, in Cape Flats, which is even kinda more ghetto then Cleary, so it was interesting to see how it could be worse. Elder Khoni almost got me killed though, cause we finished an appointment with a less active RM (I don’t understand how that one happens, but apparently there are a lot in Africa), realized we left both phones with our companions who had the car, and instead of staying put, Elder Khoni wanted to go visit some other member or something, I didn’t really think it was a good idea, but we went for a little stroll in this apparently like super dangerous area after dark. Some cops pulled up to us in their car and were asking us if we were safe, Elder Khoni said yes, and then they kept kinda asking us how we knew, kinda giving us a hard time cause I am sure we were the funniest thing they saw all night. Anyway, Elder Khoni turned to me and asked like “how do we know we are safe?” and I told him I didn’t really think we were. Fortunately, we were found soon after and nothing happened, and we had a good laugh about it. It was a fun trip, except we left our flat keys and my planner in their flat. Hopefully we get them back soon. We have been too afraid to ask our Boer landlord who scares the crap out of both of us for some another pair, so one of us, usually Elder Bangerter, sneaks over the neighbors fence, then our fence, goes through the window and opens the motorized gate (this is very common in South Africa, having like a electric gate) for the other. So pray that we do not get caught sneaking back into our flat this week.
We have found some of the most prepared investigators yet this week. I can’t remember if I have told you about Dwayne and Leville, these two young men who are now planning on getting baptized on the 22nd of April. These guys are so prepared. We gave them the Book of Mormon, didn’t really tell them much about it, but Leville has already read almost to Jacob in like a week and Dwayne had a dream about us teaching him after we gave him the book, and he has been making great progress in reading was well. These guys are so golden. Unfortunately, Leville has a child, so he is ineligible for missionary service, but I really think Dwayne could serve a mission. We are so excited about these guys.
Xabisa passed her baptismal interview and will be getting baptized this next Sunday. We need to really help her establish roots in the branch, so that is one of our goals this week. Yesterday we went and visited Lynette and Justin, and found them drinking. I resisted the urge to say "Gotcha!!" when we walked in the room. We had a good chat with them, and I hope they know that we love them, cause we didn’t really judge them. But it was also kinda frustrating, as you can imagine. The nice thing about drunk people is they do kinda open up to you, so we kinda feel like we understand them a little better. We will see where that goes, but I am kinda doubtful that Lynnette will be baptized on the 22nd of April.
We have received a working vacuum, so today we will vacuum and spray for fleas, so hopefully that problem will decrease. Fleas are a common problem in missionary boarding cause we bring them back from the townships. But they haven’t seemed as bad lately, maybe we don’t taste good to them anymore.
Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful week, I love you all!
Love,
Elder Martin
[Additional emails answering our email]
I didn’t answer your question about food. I do cook some, we were given a cook book in the mission home but I would love another. Unfortunately we don’t have a ton of preparation time for food, but we have made some nice ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ soup/stew, as well as some nice scrambled eggs with potatoes and stuff. For lunch we do often eat out though cause our boarding is a little too far from our area. Fortunately you can get a pretty nice meal for like 2 or 3 dollars US. I am not starving, but I have been eating a lot of instant porridge, cause its ok and cheep. I did get some wheatbix bites the other day, they where awesome but kinda expensive. And I ate them like in a day. Anyway.
Ok, for the package: I don’t think chocolate is good, cause I don’t think it lasts very well in the post. And the chocolate is better here anyways. But the Skittles, Hot Tamales and Mike and Ikes are all good choices. Black licorice jelly beans would be nice too. I was craving some Arby’s yesterday but that probably wouldn’t last in the post either. Propel powder is good too. Thank you so much for the valentines package! And whatever you send is great! I showed my district the print outs from the blog and they where very impressed. thank you so much for doing that. You are a wonderful mom!
P.S. I am glad you are praying for me and Elder Bangerter and what Sister Wood said about him is true, he doesn’t say bad things about anyone and is soooo kind. I am very very blessed. I really do need to make the most out of my time with him.
One thing I have been thinking about is how I wish our family was a little more involved in missionary work before I left. I realize now how a member who goes out of his way to find and give referrals and really fellowship investigators and recent converts is really what missionary work is based on. I really wish I would have tried to get the missionaries involved when Jake was showing some interest in the church. I know that you and mom have always really magnified your callings and been great examples to me, but I would also like to challenge you and mom to become more active missionaries. I think sometimes when are friends are asking questions we don’t want to get the missionaries involved until we get an engraved invitation, but really there is no harm in asking. Missionaries are the ones who are supposed to teach, and members are supposed to find. I know the culture is a little different back home, and religion is a little more taboo, but I was really thinking about mom’s friend’s who seemed interested, the missionaries should really have been brought into the picture. Also, home teaching is really important in keeping a ward strong. Don’t think that I am nagging you or mom, but being in a developing branch had really showed me how these things are really important. I feel very blessed to have had the privilege in growing up in such a strong ward and family, and thank you so much for the letter! I hope you have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment