Monday, May 14, 2012

A New Companion & Mothers Day


Hello, well since I talked to you yesterday, there is less then normal to say, but I will still summarize the week.

This week was pretty crazy. Elder Bangerter is now home in Pocatello, so some of Tuesday was spent saying goodbye to members and such. It made me pretty grateful that I have so much time yet, but I do realize that I could easily be transferred out of Cleary next transfer, so that would kinda be a bummer. Wednesday was pretty slow as well, because the first half I spend with Elder Pack, our new zone leader, doing some window shopping. We went to this sweet place called Mr. Price Sport, where you could buy some legit running apparel for dirt cheap. I will have to load up on 60 Rand [$7] short shorts and singlets before I come home. I have been missing running a little bit lately, I had a dream where I was flying down one of my routes on Trail road [outside of Moscow].

My new companion is Elder Wolfgramm, a Tongan-American from West Valley, Utah. He played defensive tackle at Snow College and has been out about 10 and a half months, making us probably the second youngest companionship in the mission right now. He is a sweet guy who loves to have fun. He is a lot different then Elder Bangerter, but we seem to get along really well and I am excited for what this transfer will hold. I certainly feel a little more safe walking in Katunga with him.

Updates on our investigators. We reviewed the baptism interview questions with Prineta Thursday and she is set to be baptized. She has a very sound understanding of the basic doctrine of the church, and at this point is just waiting for Rajan to get the priesthood so he can baptize her. Rajan gave and awesome talk in sacrament this Sunday. I was pretty darn impressed, and I can tell that he and and his wife are going to become a core part of this branch, which is very exciting.

Duwayne prepared the sacrament and passed it with me on Sunday, which was a cool experience. He learned very quickly and administered his priesthood duties with reverence. Elder Wolfgramm, like everyone, was very impressed with him and how solid yet so young in the church he is. He also gave a powerful talk on sunday about keeping the commandments. He used a lot of scriptures and showed a lot of understanding of why we need to keep the commandments.

Theo is also doing well, we missed him at church this Sunday but he, too, is showing a lot of commitment and has been studying the Book of Mormon. Right now really the only thing keeping him from baptism is the word of wisdom, so we are hoping we can conquer coffee and dhaka (weed) this week and tobacco next.

We have been working with some other friends of Duwayne’s, which is always a little interesting. Leville keeps talking about wanting to stab various people and how he wants to “slay them like Laban” but I am hoping and praying that maybe with the changes in Elders, that we can help him get his head on straight. Me and Elder Wolfgramm think his is all talk anyway (well, we hope).

Mothers day was nice, it was great to be able to talk to my family. I am so thankful that everything is going well at home. A lot of elders from other countries I think get a lot less support and I think sometimes some pretty bad news when they call home. I am glad its something I can look forward too and not dread. We had our normal DA [dinner appointment] sunday afternoon and then we went to the chapel to call home. We played monopoly while someone was calling. I don’t think board games are big with the islanders cause I was RUNNING that board. It was fun. 

Love,

Elder Martin

Prineta & Rajan Naidoo, Elder Bangerter, Sister Naidoo, Elder Martin
Elder Martin sporting his Moscow HS Track shirt didn't tell us who is wearing the University of Idaho shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment