Monday, August 13, 2012

Turned the corner


Well this week was good. I am especially excited for this P-Day cause we are having a Zone meeting tomorrow. Grahmstown and Port Alfred came up for P-day and will stay the night here. I pulled some strings to ensure that Elder Khoni would be staying with us, so I am pretty excited to catch up with him. We are also going to Mpongo Game Park later today, and so I am also excited to see some giraffes and stuff.

This week has actually gone really fast. I think the highlight of this week was continuing to teach that group of girls who seemed very interested. We shared more about the restoration and Joseph Smith, and our fellowshipper talked a little about baptism, and we gave them a conditional baptism invitation and they excepted. The spirit was strong in that lesson and we were really excited. But then two of them unexpectedly went home for the long weekend (it was like women’s day or something on Thursday) so they couldn’t come to a ward activity on Thursday—I was kinda bummed. Saturday evening, Anita let us know she was coming to church, but then she didn’t come. So its been a little bit of a roller coaster with them. Hopefully we can get them on the right track this week and get them coming to church. The problem is they live pretty far away from the chapel. My new area is kinda some more outlying areas.

We also had a good lesson with this guy, Rola. He knows some sister that is now a missionary and some sisters have been teaching him over the phone for some time. Unfortunately its not really clear what they have been teaching him, but we watched the restoration movie with him and the spirit really spoke to him about how he needed to have more faith and diligence when seeking his answer, and we also talked to him about how reading and coming to church can help him. I think he was humbled and seemed really sincere, but then he, too, didn’t show up to church on Sunday. Ahhh, the life of a missionary!

Matthew, the guy who Elder Swenson will be baptizing next Sunday, passed his baptismal interview, which is pretty exciting. He is a nice guy and is I think becoming well integrated in the ward. He has a sincere testimony and is really excited about his baptism. We went tracting around his house a little bit yesterday, a predominantly white area, and I have decided that white people, at least white South Africans, are really not my fav.

I am trying to think of anything else to report on. I have been asking just about everyone we meet with if they have been watching the olympics, and if so, what is going on. I want to know what happened in the mens 5000 and 1500 but if any Americans had done well you would probably have heard about it. I convinced Elder Madsen to go running with me saturday morning, I am trying to make that a permeant arrangement so I can wake up better and reduce the growth of my belly. I think I need to start praying for a Kenyan companion.

Well, I think that about it. I feel like I have turned a corner on my mission so far, some for the better some for the worse. Mission feels very comfortable to me know, I have been thinking less about things or people back home. I think in some ways this is good, but on the other hand I need to be careful to not get sloppy or lax. Its kinda funny to see Elder Madsen go through being a greenie and some of the same struggles I had with Elder Hama. I am really unsure what happened, cause Elder Hama still does some interesting things that kinda drove me crazy this time last transfer, but now we are really good friends and it doesn’t bother me. Anyway, well, I love you all, enjoy the trip!

Love,
Elder Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment