Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve P-day


Happy Christmas Eve to you as well! I am getting pretty excited to Skype you guys tomorrow. As for the Skyping plans, I think the plan is to go to the Branch President’s house at 5 pm (so 7 am your time) and I think Elder Krieger is going to Skype home first, so I imagine I’ll be calling around 6 or 6:30 so that will be 8 or 8:30 am your time. Hopefully you guys are finished with presents. I don’t know how well I’ll be able to compete with that. If for some reason the Skype thing doesn’t work out, plan B is for you to call our phone. 

Well the week was good. We had a zone meeting on Friday at the Mowbary chapel, which President dropped in on. That was kinda cool, except I kinda embarrassed myself. So one of our potential investigators works on one of South Africa’s two Naval submarines. We were talking to her about it and she offered to take us on a tour, which we got pretty excited about it, and the day she said would work would be the same P-day that the rest of the Zone would be here in Fish Hoek for a braai. So when we were talking about P-day I said, hey, who is interested in a Submarine tour. As these words came out of my mouth I thought maybe it would be good to ask president about that, so I turned and asked president if that was OK, and was met with a resounding “No.” For some reason I thought maybe it would make a difference if it was docked, so I asked if it was OK if it was docked. Still no. I guess a submarine is technically a boat. Anyway, but we had some laughs about that after President left, but I was kinda quite for the rest of the meeting.

One highlight of the week for me was teaching Alistair for the first time. Alistair is a little bit of Fish Hoek’s eternal investigator. He used to rent some granny flats to the missionaries (after all the missionary boardings I have seen, I am surprised he even lets us into his house). Anyway, he and his wife have spent like 6 weeks in the US visiting various missionaries they knew (his wife is a little less interested in the Gospel, but also loves the missionaries). He is probably in 60s and attends church every Sunday, he looks very much like a High Priest. Anyway, I think he knows he needs to be baptized, but I think is a little afraid of the commitment. He has recognized maybe some hypocrisy in the branch (like the gospel principles teacher preparing his lesson in Sacrament meeting) and is bothered by it. But he has some pretty in depth questions which is going to force me to really study on my own, which I am excited about. 

Anyway, well I guess I will be seeing you tomorrow, so not need to write a long email. Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,
Elder Martin

Flea bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment