Saturday, January 28, 2012

First Saturday in the SAMTC

Its Saturday and President Reber is letting us email. He seems pretty chill, but it is possible that since we are his first batch he doesn't really know what is going on. Anyway, I really love it here. Today we went to the temple, its was a great experience. For three of the african elders its was their first time. That temple is very small though, you are in one room the whole time. 

The classes are really amazing, the spirit is very strong and it is exciting to learn how to teach. That is the focus of the lessons, learning how to build a relationship with the investigators, and how to give them a very personalized message. It has really changed my view of missionary work. We are taught that it is our job to invite, not convince, and basically all we can and should do is try to help the investigator feel the spirit, so they can become converted. 

Our schedule is as follows: we get up at 6:30, get ready, have breakfast at 7:30, and then till lunch it is some combination of personal study, companionship study, or classes. Lunch is an hour, after we eat we can kinda do what we want, and then back to classes till 3 or 3:30, when it's sport time till dinner at 5, then more classes till snack time at 9. The food is alright, a little different but pretty similar to the US. They do have this juice, they call it grenadine or something like that, but its basically like passion fruit, it is very tasty. 

I am having a hard time staying awake in the later parts of the day, and I am usually waking up at like 3 or 4 and having a hard time going back to bed, but its getting better. during "sport" time yesterday we played soccer, because like elder Myendie said, "This is africa, and here we play soccer". It was fun, but I am horrible. Today we where supposed to play basketball, but its thunder storming right now so we can't. Most of the Africans are like 5 feet tall so I can understand why they would rather play soccer. 

Tonight is me and Elder Gondisamnye (I have no Idea how to spell it, and I usually just call him Elder, cause I can't pronounce it very well either) first mock lesson, we are very prepared I think. My comp has an amazing knowledge of the bible, and kinda likes to show off. It is impressive to me, but I think he sometimes kinda takes meaning in scriptures that I don't find and he tries to convince people of the gospel instead of inviting them to feel the spirit. He has a lot of enthusiasm for the work though, and I certainly can learn a lot from him. I like a lot of the elders, especially the other companionship in my room, which consists of Elder Jones, a poly guy from Australia, and Elder Khoni, from around Joberg, they are both really cool and fun. It kinda seems that about every guys here has a girlfriend the expect to wed when they get back. I guess getting dear-jonh-ed is just part of the experience. 

Sorry If I am kinda rambling, the count down clock in the corner of the window stresses me out. I really like how small the MTC is here, even though it seems kinda silly that you always have to be with your companion, that is something I will have to get used to. Anyway, and to answer Skyler's question about first names: I have been told several of the Elders first names, but I can barely remember or pronounce many of their last names, so I have not really remebered any of them. And Skyler: Go to seminary! I really wish I knew the scripture masteries, those would be really helpful on a mission. Anyway, love you guys and write me please!

Love,

Elder Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment