Hey Everyone. Sorry I couldn't email Tuesday—the twice weekly emails couldn't last forever I suppose.
The most significant experience of this week definitely happened last saturday when we went out Soweto, which is like a big township with a bunch of smaller ones inside. Its kinda hard to explain, its like an area. The townships was a humbling experience. Life is hard there. We got to teach one old lady, she had been baptized two months ago. She lived in a little cinderblock house. I asked about a picture of her family on her wall, and found out that two of her sons are in prison (at least one for murder) one of her daughters is dead, and he youngest, Lincoln, got shot five times by the police fairly recently, was thought to be dead, but just sorta sat up off the table in the morgue. She had experienced struggles in her life I can not even imagine, but she talked so much about how she has found peace and happiness since getting baptized. This really touched my heart, and made me realize how even though I can not take away the poverty, crime and violence for these people, I can share the gospel, which will bless there lives and ease their burdens.
I saw and heard some pretty rough things in the townships, it made me think how any problem I have ever really thought I had is nothing. It is even more humbling to know that all the African elders here came from places like that. The other night a bunch of them where showing me various knife scars and stuff. I know some of them don't come from really strong family structures. The good thing about the townships is that people are very receptive to the gospel there. We had two guys just walk up to us and ask where our church was and how they could attend. Everyone wants to serve in the townships because of the people receptiveness.
I guess Cape Town is the lowest baptizing mission in Africa though. People there are apparently more laid back, and the natives are more involved in sorta tribal-type beliefs. One of these tribal beliefs that makes me feel bad for the African Elders who want to go home and marry their girlfriends is something called Lobolo. Its like a dowry that is a huge deal here. It is often like 10 to 15 grand in like U.S. currency, which as you can imagine, is a lot (they pay it to the fiancée family). Members of the church have been counseled to give up this practice, but old habits die hard.
The MTC has been good this week, but I am feeling pretty ready to get out of here. We have had some great experiences, we watched a movie about the church in Africa on Sunday that was really touching. We also watched a taped MTC devotional. One of the Apostles was sharing the story of two Elders in Japan who where prompted to continue tracting a street, and knocked on then Mr. Kikuchi's door. It made me realize how far reaching our work is, how these two Elders have somewhat indirectly effected me.
I did get your letter this week, I think on monday. Did you really send that the 21st? I am not sure when I will be able to email next, because the next email you get from me I will be in the FIELD! And I have been taking some pictures, mom, but there is not a lot of things to photograph in spirit prison. The clothes are working fine, I haven't ironed yet. Anyway, talk to you later! I love you all so much!
Love,
Elder Martin
No comments:
Post a Comment