Unjani Everyone!
Well this has been a pretty good week. It’s been kinda rainy and cold the last couple of days so I guess winter is coming. Our flat was pretty cold this morning. One thing I have found is that Easter is a big holiday here in SA, a lot of people get work off for Good Friday and today. We have been asked a lot by investigators and members why we don’t have church on good friday, a question I never really thought of before. One interesting tradition amongst the Coloreds is eating pickled fish on Easter. Its not really pickled in the way I would think of—it isn’t like canned. A couple of people have given us some to take home. It took a couple of days to gather the courage to eat it, but it actually isn’t bad. The streets this weekend did reek of fish, along with the normal stench of booze. Hot crossed buns are also part of this tradition, and they are pretty good.
I did have a very nice Easter Sunday, I hope the family did as well. I was remembering our Easter Sunday tradition of the Easter egg hunt detailing Jesus’s last week on earth. I have been reading a lot of Jesus The Christ, and it is wonderful book.
I got to give short talk in Sacrament meeting today, with about 5 minutes of preparation time, but I enjoyed the opportunity. The missionaries are often called to speak or teach when the normal people fall through. I got to teach Elders Quorum the other day as well. President Barrendse was gone this week, and it has been pretty apparent how this branch could use a lot of development. I have gained a strong testimony of home teaching this week, as we have continued to see the less active members we visit show up to church after just a short visit. Home teaching is just about non-existent here, and if people actually did their home teaching this branch would have more active members and probably be a ward by now. There are also a couple older women who haven’t really had home teachers and they could really use them, like Sister Naidoo, the blind one. Anyway, when I go home, I will be a diligent home teacher.
I am so glad I grew up in a home where both parents led the home in trying to live in righteousness, and especially that I had a father that was a worthy priesthood holder who exercised that priesthood authority. I read a talk from President Packer about the priesthood in the home, and how important that is to church growth. Finding a father-led family here is like the holy grail of missionary work in Africa, and its really what the church here needs. I think finding young men who can go and serve a mission is next best.
Dwayne, is progressing wonderfully, he has been to church 4 times in a row now, and we have already talked with him about one day serving a mission. He has a lot of trust in us, and we have found out about some pretty rough stuff he used to be involved with. He used to be addicted to the South African equivalent of meth, or tik, and was kinda (well not kinda) a hoodlum. We had a really powerful lesson with him about repentance. He truly was prepared before we found him, and I pray will be baptized in two weeks. He has kinda already started fellowshipping with us.
We met the rest of Rajan Naidoo’s family, and his wife and daughter both wish to be baptized. We will hopefully set a date tonight. Prinetta, his wife is a very sweet lady and has already expressed a desire for her family to visit the temple. They have been taught by missionaries before, so its kinda nice not starting from scratch. They where all in church this Sunday and Rajan seemed very touched when we watched the “Finding Faith In Christ” dvd in gospel principles.
Elder Bangerter has now been serving for 23 months, and I am trying to get mentally prepared to possibly get a companion far less Christlike and obedient as he is. It was Zone Training this week, so I got to interview with President Wood. I really am glad he is the president, he is a funny guy and thinks about things in a very logical way, which I appreciate. He gave a powerful training on how we must be sanctified as priesthood holders. This mission is pretty old, 84 of the 130 missionaries are going home in the coming months, so i think a lot of missionaries are dying [trunky]. I am glad my companion is not one of them. Elder Bangerter tells me that because of how old the mission is right now, I will be in leadership positions while I am still pretty young on the mission (the same thing happened to him).
Elder Davuke, the newest missionary in our district, is pretty awesome, and quite the athlete. he also plays the guitar. He is pretty funny, its nice having a polynesian in the district. Well, those are kinda the highlights for the week, I have been getting better at budgeting and cooking, we have been having a lot of district lunches where we make just kinda of an ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ stew curry. Curry powder is good in everything.
I have not gotten any post for three weeks, there seems to be some sort of hiccup or something with the post, but SURELY I will get mail this week. Anyway, I love you all and hope you have a great week!
-Elder Martin
P.S. Along with the whole pickled fish thing, I found a South Africa Cape Town Mission legend in our area book the other day. The lady that said she knew why we eat pickled fish on Easter after reading the restoration pamphlet.
It's been fun, as always, to keep up with Kaleb's mission posts, but I was wondering about his wording that has been in two posts now...who are the Coloreds and why is he referring to them in that way?
ReplyDeleteThanks
Coloured (or Colored as Kaleb writes) are people who have ancestry from Europe, South African tribes, and parts of Asia. See the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured
DeleteWe understand this is the preferred and respectful way to refer to this group of people he is serving.