Hello all,
This week was pretty good. One thing that has been pretty interesting is working with the Naidoo family, namely Prineta. Its kinda been a bit of a roller coaster. Last monday, after seeing Duwayne baptized, Prineta decided she wanted to be baptized by Elder Bangerter before he leaves—meaning this Sunday. We thought about it, realized that with how well she is keeping her commitments and such that it is totally possible, and decided it could happen. I was so excited for Elder Bangerter cause what a way to end his mission, a baptism on his last Sunday.
Unfortunately, this has been a little to good to be true. Last Monday we briefly talked about the word of wisdom, stated that it can be something that can slow the preparation for baptism, and asked if she had any problem with the big 5 (tea, tobacco, coffee, alcohol, drugs, etc). She said she was a coffee drinker but she would have no problem giving that up and hadn’t been drinking any for a couple of weeks. Well last night when we were talking about the Word of Wisdom, we found out from Rajan, who is attempting to quite smoking as well, that Prineta also smokes. So that kinda bites the big one because now we have to tell her tonight she can’t be baptized on Sunday. We are a little disturbed by her attempt to kinda gloss over her smoking habit. But she is still a really awesome investigator, and this is just hopefully a little speed bump to her baptism. I think part of the problem stems from the fact that she really loves the missionaries, I think especially Elder Bangerter, and really wants to make us happy. Even though baptism has everything to do with our Heavenly Father and very little to do with us.
Prineta and Rajan also fed us lunch on Sunday and made us some very nice Indian food: two kinds of curries, rice and a bunch of other things. One of the curries was made with what’s called “trotters” or pig feet. It actually wasn’t that bad, even though it was pretty clearly pig feet (or at least ankles). Indians also eat with their hands, which is kinda interesting, but fortunately we were provided with forks. We are working a lot in Malabar this week because of the Naidoo family. It has been kinda nice, as most of it is very very nice, like a normal upper middle class suburb. There are a lot of Hindus and Muslims there, and we have talked to some very friendly Muslims this week. A lot of Muslims and Hindus have stickers on their houses indicating that they are Muslim or Hindu, so that saves us some time. Yesterday we found some fairly promising father-led families who invited us back, so we are excited to see how that goes.
Duwayne was confirmed yesterday and will likely receive the Aaronic Priesthood this next Sunday. He has shown a lot of commitment this week; walking to the church from his house to participate in a couple of church activities (Friday was Freedom Day, a national South African holiday). I think has really impressed President Barrendse, which is good. Duwayne will also receive a calling on Sunday to be in charge of the church grounds or something, and President has asked that he become his home teaching companion, which would be excellent. Duwayne is already planning on a mission, and I could very much see him leaving before I come home.
This week was also marked with two exchanges, one with Elder Doxy, a Zone Leader, and one with Elder Nieslon. I got to go running with both of them, which was really nice. Both of them are really awesome and I learned a lot from both of them on exchange. With Elder Doxy I had my first real experience with something that bordered on a Bible-bash, with something called a Brennenite. Brennenites are kind of a thorn in the side of Missionaries cause they believe in this guy named William Brennan [William M. Branham?] was a prophet, kinda like Joseph Smith, anyway, its frustrating cause they are so close, yet so far from the truth. Duwaynes brother, Theo, is now meeting with us regularly. He is really humble and meek like Duwayne, but we have to go a little slower with him. Hopefully he will be baptized by the end of May. Leville [is who] we are really struggling with. I guess he almost stabbed a guy last week. He knows the Book of Mormon and the church is true, he just can’t seem to leave behind all the issues in his life, and really struggles to keep commitments. Hopefully we can help him turn his life around.
Thats about all I can think about that happened this week. This is Elder Bangerter’s last full week, so I am trying to get geared up for that [getting assigned a new companion].
Thank you so much for the prayers and support. Love you all!
-Elder Martin
P.S. Thanks for the package, I got the one with all the recipe packets this week. I will have to make some of them this week. I really want to make the pork and sweet potatoes, but I am pretty sure my oven doesn't work. Also, I would have to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, but thanks a bunch. Yeah, things like that can be found here, but its was still nice. I can't wait to get the other package. And the black jelly beans were very nice.
Yeah, we get the Church Magazines, just a little later then you do. That’s great to hear about Asthon being called to the second councilor in the Deacon’s Quorum Presidency. I am so thankful for young mens and my leaders and how it prepared me for mission. Seeing priesthood leaders here who are figuring out the same lessons I learned in Deacons Quorum is kinda frustrating, but I guess understandable.
As for talking with you on Mother’s Day. It is unlikely that I will get to Skype this time. Sounds like the most common thing is to buy and international calling card, sounds like a 200 Rand one would last me almost my whole mission. We will probably call from the Church. As for when and such I still don't really know, but I will let you know for sure next week. I think we call in the evening for us and Sunday morning for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment