Monday, January 7, 2013

South African Monopoly


This week was good. New Years was fun I guess, we really weren’t sure what to do. So me and Elder Krieger bought Monopoly. I’ve played it here before, but it interesting cause the name of the places are different. Elder Nkosi kicked every ones butt both games we played. I think he is going to become the richest man in Africa.

Boarding Council worked out well, the flat was a lot cleaner this week, and studying at the church has been nice. The only problem is that I am not sure Elder Ramosoeu totally understands how it works, and I would feel pretty bad making him buy us ice cream, so there was a little bit of an effort to help him not loose last night when we were totaling up the score. Transfers are next week and I am predicting that Elder Nkosi will train, so it might not be a problem for much longer. 

I was supposed to give some baptismal interviews on Friday when I was on exchanges. The weight of this assignment kinda hit me like a freight train Thursday night when I was planning with Elder Dladla, who’s investigators I was supposed to be interviewing the next day. I realized it was going to be up to me to know weather these people were worthy and ready for baptism. I ended up not giving any of the three that we had planned. One they were trying to baptize before she left for Ghana to go back school, which I and the zone leaders (and President, after I called him) didn’t think was the greatest idea. The second, we did an interview role play in studies that morning just to practice, and Elder Dladla was pretending to be this guy who recently got married to a member whom he has a child with. From the role play we determined that maybe this guy wasn’t ready yet, especially since he only quite smoking a week ago, and seemed a little apathetic towards the whole church thing. For the third, the guy met us at the church for the interview, didn’t really want to go into a room with me, and as Elder Dladla started talking to him about what this was about, he told us that he was baptized in his own church. So that interview didn’t happen either. I guess they thought they had resolved this concern in the past, but apparently not. Anyway, so it was kinda an interesting exchange. On the way back, I hope I helped Elder Dladla understand the importance of people being really prepared for baptism. 

As far as our own investigators, this was a little bit of a slow week. Allistair is at his holiday home with his grandchildren, and the Edwards family isn’t looking so hot. The father, who is the member, is home for a few weeks and he seems to have a pretty cool attitude towards the church. So no support structure to speak of for his daughter. The white family we found cancelled there appointment, but we went by last night to see them and they are still really excited to meet with us, they just had a busy week, so we are still super excited about that family. 

I got an SMS from Elder Gillespie this morning telling me that Simphiwe got baptized yesterday, and that he got to baptize him. So that’s awesome. 

Anyway, have a good week!

Love,
Elder Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment