Monday, February 4, 2013

Watch out for the guy with a brick


It was a good week. 

Sharington is doing awesome, he and his wife gave up coffee with no difficulty, which I was a little worried about cause I think he was a little skeptical about us telling him that God didn’t want him to drink coffee. Fortunately his is really really humble. We taught him about tithing last night and I think he is all good. He will be interviewed on Saturday. It will be nice to have a baptism, its been a while. 

One sad thing this week is that a member of the ward passed away. His name is Emmanuel, he lived in the township and had been in the hospital for a week or two, and he died Saturday night in the hospital from kidney failure. They don’t know why. The public hospitals here are pretty bad, I wonder if things would have been different if he had had better medical attention. He was in his mid-20s, also from Malawi. He went out fellow shipping with us a few weeks ago. Needless to say sacrament meeting at church was pretty emotional, it was interesting how the new Bishopric expressed their emotions. The new bishop kinda just cried that whole of sacrament meeting, the first counselor, who is a pretty funny guy was trying really hard not to get emotional and snapped a pencil while speaking at the podium, which honestly me and Elder Hale had a good laugh about afterword (it was really strange) and the other counselor, who my guess barely knew the guy, got up and talked about how death really shouldn’t be a sad thing and we shouldn’t be crying.

This week was pretty nice though. Friday and Saturday we had some really nice first appointments with families. The spirit was really present in all of them, especially with a lady named Beverly and her teenage children. It sounds like her family is going through some challenges. They are currently living with her father and sister, who both have some pretty big substance abuse issues. The spirit was really strong and they seemed to really get the Restoration. As we taught them, I thought about how the Book of Mormon has lessons to apply to all kinds of family situations. It was kinda interesting too when her really drunk old man came in holding a brick. One of Beverly’s children’s friends was standing at the door and trying pry the brick out of his hand but he wasn’t letting go. He then went into the kitchen and came back, but with out the brick. I have been here long enough that experiences like that don’t really phase me anymore. 

This week elder Kintu taught me how to make chapati, basically like a tortilla. He cooks them with a ton of oil, but I make them with just a little so it really is like just like a home made tortilla. I have been eating a lot of them. 

Also, it was Elder Hale’s birthday this week, and his parents put a bunch of money in his home account to go to dinner. So Saturday night we went to Ocean Basket and I got a sushi platter. I have had a bunch of companions talk about how awesome sushi is and Elder Hale got some the other day and let me try a role, so I got some, and I really liked it, especially the California and Maki roles. 

Well, Love you guys lots! hope you have a great week.

love,
Elder Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment