Monday, February 18, 2013

Sherrington’s Baptism


Well this week was good. It ended up being slightly less busy than I was guessing. The zone leaders cancelled exchanges with us on Tuesday because one of them was sick. 

The [training] meetings were good. The new elders training I have been two three times now so it all sounded pretty familiar to me, but I still got a lot out of it. The leadership training on Friday was also really good, and I thought really opened my eyes to some areas I could improve. I am becoming aware that the mission is struggling with some obedience issues. There are definitely some things I could be trying better on and so I felt that the meeting was a good course correction for me. Thre was even a comment made about the mothers group and Gossip, which made me laugh. Gossip really is a problem in this mission, and I am starting to see why. I think a lot of it isn’t really true, and its creating a lot of problems. I have also become aware of how much I do it, or at least talk to people about other people, so that is one thing that I can work on for sure. 

The zone leaders ended up coming with us on exchanges on Saturday (the APs cancelled at the last minute, which happened last time I trained too—gotta love the Apes). It was a decent exchange. We had a lesson with this guy named Dillon, kinda an interesting referral from a sorta investigator. He is about our age. We had a nice restoration lesson and introduced the Book of Mormon to him. When we handed it to him he asked “is this the book with Nefe (that’s kinda how they say Nephi here)?” We were a little surprised, and from what he said sounds like he read at least most of 1st Nephi some years ago and remembers it well. I don’t think he has ever met with missionaries, he just had a copy of the Book of Mormon lying around. Pretty cool. 

Sherrington’s baptism was, of course, very nice. He asked that I baptize him, which was a privilege. His wife and little brother who lives in the township both came with him. We hope to start really trying to get Agnus to also be baptized. Sherrington’s little brother, Allen, seemed really impressed by the service and said he was going to start coming every week and that he would be next to be baptized. He is going to start being taught by the Masi elders. It was a great service and Sherrington gave a very kind testimony thanking the missionaries for teaching him. Sounds like he plans to return to his children in Malawi in the next year or two We were at his house yesterday night when he shipped off a brand new refrigerator and big screen TV to Malawi. I think they are just here to kinda get money to improve their situation back home and then head off back home to be with their children. He wants to get his whole family in the church. The church is in Malawi as well. He said a few things that really made me think about the scripture about how many are kept from the truth because they know not where to find it. He really is just a tender mercy from the Lord. This is not our work, it is his. 

I got the package. Loved both DVDs. Also I loved the Mormon Messages. I had never seen any of those and I think the church is really getting good and producing good media. We played some of them after the baptism during the service. 

As for transfers. No one here has gotten any news yet, which has surprised me a little. I thought Elder Nkosi would be going to be a district leader somewhere, and if he was I think we would have heard by now. I am going to be kinda bummed if no one gets transferred, because then we don’t get to go to the mission home on Wednesday. I think Elder Gillespie could potentially be training as well, so I want to meet his greenie if he is. 

Well, I had some baptismal pictures to send, but elder Nkosi didn’t bring his card reader so I guess they are going to have to wait till next week.

Also, for like the first time in my life I can like do a pretty legit pull up. 

Love, Elder Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment