Monday, March 18, 2013

Apostasy and Restoration


Well this week was good.

P-day was kinda lame. We were supposed to go ice skating, but our ZL are kinda unorganized. So we played ping pong and cricket at the church. Me and Elder Nkosi bought a cheap cricket bat and he has been teaching me how to play. Its pretty fun. We were supposed to climb Table Mountain again this week but its pretty rainy so probably not. 

Tuesday was zone conference, which is always awesome. It was about the Restoration. President gave a specific training on the apostasy, something I have really come to understand as I have been exposed to a lot of other churches. While of course we must respect all peoples beliefs, I am grateful for the fruits of the restoration of the gospel and the church. I was talking to like a Pastor from the Old Apostolic church who was pretty friendly and very willing to have an interfaith discussion, and their view of the Godhead is very strange. He was trying to tell me that God is “the word” (based on the first chapter of John) and seemed to kinda deny any ideas that it was an actual being? I was pretty confused. But I am grateful that through the restoration, we know that God is our Heavenly Father, that we were made in his image, and he has a body. Sister Wood also gave a great training on the First Vision. 

We weren’t really able to see all the people I was excited about last week, we should be able to see them this week. We have a busy few days in front of us. We were still able to teach quite a lot this week thought. 

Saturday was a pretty interesting day. So friday night Elder Hale was putting the finishing touches on his self-given hair cut, which was fine, but as he went to get a few hairs he missed he forgot to put the guard back on the clippers and gave himself a nice bald spot. It was pretty funny. So he decided that the only solution was go with a number 1. So now he looks like a skin head. Fortunately they don’t have those here. It was good though when a drunk guy in Ocean View came up and told him he was beautiful, I think it helped him get his confidence back. Later that day as were driving back from some tracting, also in Ocean View (and a particular scaring brown bottle experience) some crazy drunk coloreds threw a rock at our car. They missed and we avoided it, but then the guy liked charged the car and like kicked it as we were driving. We are not really sure what happened, if he kicked the mirror or the mirror hit him after he kicked like the bumper, but the glass in the passenger-side mirror broke (Elder Hale was driving). Also, another guy on the street threw another rock and put a nice scratch in the roof. This didn’t really phase me, but I think Elder Hale was a little worried about it. 

Well, that was kinda the week. Love you bunches!

-Elder Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment