Monday, June 17, 2013

Roadtrip to George and Knysna

Well, that week was a pretty good one, like for half of it we were out of town. The exchanges in George and Knysna were legit. That whole area (called the Garden Route) is so beautiful. Especially Knysna. Knysna also has a pretty cool location/township, it kinda like stretches across a ridge line above the city, and a lot of the shacks are on stilts. I took some pictures. Lots of Malawians there, and the Elders there have been baptizing like crazy. It reminded me of Sherrington. Malawians are pretty legit. I always thought it would kinda stink to serve in Knysna because its just one companionship and the next closest missionaries are an hour away, but after seeing Knysna it seems like a pretty cool place. They also have a senior couple there who kinda got emergency transferred out of Burundi, so that makes it a little less lonely. 

George was pretty fun as well. They’re are two companionships there. I was with Elder Smith and Elder Roeloffze. Elder Smith is a really sweet guy and Elder Roeloffze (from South Africa) is pretty hilarious. It was a pretty funny exchange. I left my camera in Knysna (I got it on the way back) so I couldn’t get a picture of him. Elder Smith took a pretty funny video of me zapping myself with a china shop tazer. I need to get it from him, I am not sure if I would be able to email it though. 

Babalwa, the 13 year old we have been teaching, is doing really well. She was staying with her grandparents this weekend, but still got to church by herself. She and her brother should be getting baptized on the 30th. 

Last night we were trying to contact people on the ward list who we didn’t know (its a pretty big ward list) and we ended up going to an active member we just didn’t really know (a little awkward), but surprise! Bishop Van Heerden from East London 3rd ward was there! I guess his wife and this member are super good friends. Anyway, its was cool to see him and get an update on 3rd ward. Everyone is going on missions! he said by the end of the year there will be 18 serving concurrently. East London is just a little piece of Zion. The most exciting thing he told me was that Tina asked him for mission papers a few weeks ago! I am pretty stoked about that, she emails me from time to time but she hasn’t said anything about that. 

Wednesday Elder Bricknell, in the area presidency, is coming for Zone Conference, so that will be cool. I have seen him before at a stake conference in Cape Town, he is South African, but he served as a mission president in Pocatello.

Elder Zarbock and Washburn are going home next week! Kinda crazy. Elder Zarbocks family is coming to pick him up. After they leave there will only be 8 missionaries more senior then me and my group left in the mission. Kinda crazy. Anyway, well love all you guys!


-Elder Martin 

Knysna Head


Knysna Location

No comments:

Post a Comment