Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mission tour Round 2, Part 1

Well, I haven’t written like a general email for a little while, and I’ve got some time, so here it goes. 

Last Week: I am really struggling to remember what happened. Well I guess I wrote about most of it. Brother Zizi is doing really well (at least as of Sunday). We taught him about the Word of Wisdom on Sunday with a member of the Bishopric, Brother Scheepers who has a pretty amazing conversion story. Brother Zizi opened up to us a little and we found out that really in the last few months he really turned his life around and his priorities are much more centered on his family now. Sounds like up until a few months ago he really struggled with binge drinking on the weekends, but has totally quit. He should be ready on the 1st for Baptism. 

I got pretty excited last week to hear Alastair Watt agreed to Baptism and was interviewed last Saturday, with the Goal of getting baptized on the 24th. Apparently since then he sent the Fish Hoek Elders an SMS saying he wants to postpone because he feels “spiritually out of tune.”  The man just needs to do it. Apparently he had it all planned out, he was going to have a member baptize him and me confirm him. I guess we will see what happens.

We had good lessons last week with the Mutema family, from Zim. We had a stellar Plan of Salvation lesson with them, they are an awesome family, but they have been a little hesitant to come to church, I guess the father is like a lay minister in their church. We will see what happens. 

We flew out Monday for Mthatha. We do a short exchange with both sets of Elders there (I went with one companionships, Elder Ndlovu with another). I was with Elder Kively, who last transfer we lived with. It was good to see him, he is helping that district out a lot. I don’t think the obedience out there is that great. The District Leader is going home in three weeks (at least physically, I think mentally he has already been there for some time now) and is counting down the hours till his departure (and letting everyone know too). I think Mthatha could be a possibility for my final assignment, which would be interesting. I feel like I am really in Africa out there. It was also super hot. 

So we left Tuesday afternoon for Queenstown, about 3 hours to the North. The road is not very good, and that is when I hit the sheep. So a lamb (at least I think it was a lamb, it could have been a young goat) was crossing the road at the top of the hill. I was going too fast (I felt pretty dumb, I think I was over the speed limit and I was definitely over the mission imposed speed limit) and I couldn’t see it until I was right on it because I was cresting a hill. When I did see it, I swerved to avoid it but the poor lamb panicked and ran back to the other side of the road, and I hit it. It took of a chunk of the bumper and the plastic wheel well lining. It actually ended up not being a big deal (in terms negative consequences for me, for the lamb things were pretty rough). 

So our exchange in Queenstown was nice. I got to see the Makanda family, who despite only have met like once before I think are super legit. Their mom is the newly elected Mayor of Queenstown, and the kids hooked me up with a “Vote ANC” shirt, something I have been trying to get my hands on. It was also super hot in Queenstown, it was about 100 F. 

Then we went to East London, we drove there Thursday morning. We first had to go to the airport to get our new car. They were pretty much out and I was really hoping that we were going to score ourselves like a Mercedes C class our something cause that’s all they had, but unfortunately they found us another corolla. We then went to my favorite place to eat, the Curry Palace in East London, where there is no menu and you have to wonder if you will get food poisoning. It was as good as ever, and I got to see Elder Gillespie. I wish I would have served around him more, he is pretty legit. But we will be able to chill at BYU, assuming I get in. He is planning on rooming with his brother but he said he would look in to see if me and Elder Madsen can also get spots in his brother’s flat. 

Elder Nkosi was as awesome as ever, he made me pancakes from Mom’s recipe book Friday morning. 

The rest of the exchanges were pretty whatever, one in Mdantsane, where everyone wants to speak Xhosa, and King Williams Town this morning for a few hours. The “ward” there apparently has only 4 active, full-tithe paying Melchizedek priesthood holders, and TONS of sisters. I saw a bunch of YSA sisters, I don’t think that is the greatest place for elders to be. 

Anyway, well we have church tomorrow and a bunch of appointments, and then we leave for George and PE on Monday. Yippee!

Love,

Elder Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment