Monday, October 8, 2012

Sister Missionaries at Age 19 is a Game Changer


Good morning!

Well, unfortunately I did not get to watch General Conference, and won’t until the 20th and 21st. When I was in Cleary, we watched the morning sessions live, but its sounds like the plan here is just to wait until the DVDs get here and then to watch them. I have been a little bummed about that, but I am really excited to see it when I do. I did hear all about the announcement [of missionary age limits being lowered] on Sunday though, and the district has been speculating on its effects.

As for  my opinion, I think changing the age for Elders changes little. I know the Elder Gillespie has two British Elders in his transfer that are both still 18. Elder Govindasamy in the MTC was still 18. I understand why they are doing that, and I think it won’t change much. Will some Elders come out more mature then others? Of course, but its like that already. I think those who do school before they leave will still mostly do school and those who are going to leave as soon after HS as they can will do so as well. I know a lot of American missionaries who did no school and left as soon as they turned 19. I definitely agree that doing some school before you go is a really good idea, but I guess its not for everyone. I do hope that it doesn’t get to the point where if you do some school before you leave people think you are procrastinating or something.

As for moving the Sisters age to 19, well, that’s a game changer I think. I feel like President Monson just called the bluff of thousands of girls who say they are going to go on a mission. I wonder how many more sisters will serve now. This could really change Mormon culture. I don’t like the idea of dating a girl who expects to marry a RM but is unwilling herself to go on a mission. So when I come home and I meet a 20 year old girl, I am going to have to wonder why she hasn’t decided to go on a mission, and I hope she has a good answer. The implications are enormous. Are the BYU’s going to experience a mass exodus of women? My mind is boggled by that change. We won’t really notice in South Africa Cape Town Mission though, so whatevs.

As for the week, I think this was kinda a long week for me. I wasn’t feeling that well like Tuesday and Wednesday, so that isn’t very fun. I felt a little demotivated honestly. We taught a fair number of people throughout the week, but we are still struggling to get people to really progress, and our one solid investigator, Trevor, may be moving out of our area any day. And all the students we have been teaching will be leaving cause school will get out in a bout a month. I have been praying to get some of that fire back, and I thought I was definitely refreshed at church on Sunday. We just need to work harder and put more trust in the Lord. 

But other then that things are going fairly well. I am enjoying my time with Elder Gillespie, I think I am getting into a little bit better of shape. I am really excited for conference, which will be the same week for us as Interviews and Zone training, and new Elder training, so lots of spiritual upliftment. I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Love,

Elder Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment