Fish Hoek still! Yep, Elder Hale got transferred to the office, and I got Elder Burton, an Englishmen from Wales. He has been out six months. Anyway, he is a good guy. The other newcomer in the district is Elder Ndlovu with Elder Kintu. Elder Ndlovu is from Jozi and has also been out six months. He is a pretty funny guy and I am excited to have him in the district. He has a good sense of humor, which he will need if he is going to stay sane with Kintu the man (every time we call him Elder Kintu, he replys “the man”). I asked him once why he did that and he said because if he says yes, no one can say no, and if he says no, no one can say yes. So I will be here till May.
[snip, snip] I am pretty good about getting up on time but usually what happens in the morning lately, especially as winter in the cape descends, I shower, put my fleece bathrobe on (we found it in our boarding) wrap a blanket around me, sit down on the couch and don’t get back up till 15 minute before studies. I need to get back in the habit of exercising, and accept the fact that if I sit down on the couch in the morning, it will be a while before I get back up. I guess we can always improve.
We got to watch all but the Sunday Afternoon session of General Conference this weekend. We were pretty bummed. We were all looking forward to Elder Holland’s talk. But I think we will be able to watch it next Sunday. We made a big push to invite just about everyone to conference we could, but were pretty disappointed with only two really catching any part of conference. I enjoyed how many talks were about missionary work, and how many mentions of the Saints in Africa there were. The Stake President of the the Cape Town Stake, President Giddy, was called to be an area authority and a former Mission President of the Zhim Mission (who Elder Hama had briefly served under) is now in the First Quorum of the 70. Conference is something I have really come to love, and I think that in the future, post-mission, I might try to always go to the church to watch it to avoid distractions.
This was another good week in teaching, we taught a lot. It was very sad for Elder Hale to say goodbye to Sherrington. Sherrington was very sad at the thought of either of us leaving. He is leaving I think either a week from today or sooner for a month visit to Malawi, so I might be gone when he gets back. He is a great guy and I think he is starting to really understand the need to get the rest of his family in the church. He thinks there is a branch near his village in Malawi and he hopes to introduce the missionaries to his family there.
Well, that was more of less the week here. Oh, the Ward is putting on talent show and braai at the end of this month with the goal of getting members to invite friends. We are trying to prepare a talent (I kinda thought this would not be my problem) and we need ideas. Elder Burton can play the guitar and we should be getting access to one. Any thoughts?
Love you all!
Elder Martin
![]() |
| I am sending you some picture of weird stuff I've eaten. |
![]() |
| This is Smiley. Read about it here. |
![]() |
| This week I tried chicken feet. Yummy. |





No comments:
Post a Comment