Monday, May 27, 2013

Collecting Missionary Stats by Candlelight

Well, it was a pretty good week this week. I am starting to learn the area and get a little bit more comfortable with the people and places. There is a lot of really pretty powerful YSA [young single adult] aged members here, many of whom are RM’s [returned missionaries] and willing to come with us to fellowship people. Its pretty cool because that is about completely opposite of how Fish Hoek, there was like no YSA. The area reminds me quite a lot of the area I worked in East London. Lots of students, and also kind of ghetto run down inner-city type neighborhoods, and really nice suburbs. Except our area is really big, we were WAY over our kilometer limit this week.

Elder Washburn is trying really hard to develop something resembling a SA accent, and inconsistently pronounces his “rrr’s” kinda funny. Its kinda annoying, and I have made fun of him for doing It a few times, but he won’t admit it’s fake. I am amazed by how much Xhosa he knows, I think he can pretty much understand most, and speak a lot. He has spent a lot of time in the Townships. He has been practicing a pretty solid 90 second testimony to give at his home coming talk, which will also be his little sister’s farewell. So he is hoping to kinda wow a lot of her friends. We get along pretty well, and I have been enjoying our companionship.

Anyway, on a more spiritual note, we did have a really nice lesson with Candice, a lady in her early 30s who has been coming to church for a couple of weeks. The spirit was strong as we recounted the First Vision. I also had a good lesson on exchanges with Elder Arthur, from New Zealand, who is serving in Cleary. We taught the this lady from Zhim who was a member for a long time in Zhim, moved here, couldn’t find the church, ended up joining another. And then that church helped with some funeral expenses so she feels like she has to stay at that church. She lives in the same flat complex as a recent convert, and we taught them together. We taught a powerful restoration lesson to her, and I know that lady left knowing she needs to come back to church.

I will be going on exchanges in my old area in Cleary on Wednesday, I am super excited. Other then that, haven’t really enjoyed being a zone leader all that much. Sunday night when you have to give reports and total stats is pretty lame, especially like last night, when both our phones died, and when we go home the power was out, so we had to use that battery from Elder Zarbock’s phone, and keep switching sim cards to get the right info, and total stats in candlelight. There is a lot of power outages in our neighborhood, I don’t know why.

Anyway, well, love you all, have a great week!

Love,

Elder Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment