Monday, August 12, 2013

Shifting gears and airplane transfers suck

Good morning from Cape Town. Yeah, this has been an eventful week. I was a little surprised that I was being transferred, but I guess I was about the only one cause there was an apparent leak in the office, so like everyone else new I was coming back to Cape Town. Its cool coming back to Cape Central. I am looking forward to making it back up to Fish Hoek. 

Leaving Port Elizabeth was kinda sad though, I was bummed to have to say goodbye people there, especially the Bell Family. Candice bought me a really nice journal. It was sweet. Our Zone in PE was being changed a lot though so on the other hand it was pretty nice. Elder Myende got a call Monday morning instructing him that he was the new Mdantsane ZL, and once he got that call I was not really wanting to stick around so to say. So its awesome being here with Elder Khoni, really didn’t see it coming. Mom you asked if we run, yes we ran once last morning and our flat complex has a really lame gym so we also use that in the mornings. Man, I though I had gained weight, Khoni looks pregnant. So its good we are together, we can help each other on the “six months to sexy.” 

Transfers really blew though. So when getting transferred via airplane, there are a few strategies missionaries have devised to avoid overweight baggage fees. One is to pack your carry on with all your books and heavy stuff because they don’t weigh it. Except this time I guess I was flying British Airways, not SA Express so they did ask to weight it(!?). My checked bag was also 3 kilos over, but I managed to put some stuff in Elder Lekoati’s bag, but then they asked to weight my carry on, which is only supposed to be 7 kilos. Mine was 18. So they made me check it at a steep R350 (~$35). Sorry home account. So that’s why I have no money. 

Our area here in Cape Town is pretty pig and pretty dead. Not much is going on, but Elder Khoni is excited to be with someone who wants to work. One of the problems in our area is a sweet, sweet old man named Brother Mike. He kinda reminds me of Grandpa. Really nice guy, been a member for a little over a year, went to the temple right before I left Fish Hoek (He prophesied I would come and be a ZL here). Anyway, this guy loves the missionaries, and is kinda lonely. And terminally ill with cancer. So missionaries spend a lot of time at his house because he wants them too. He runs a small catering business and for 350 rand a MSF cycle he gives us a big meal every day (except Sunday). Its a pretty good deal. The problem though is just not spending too much time there. We have started to hold what I imagine like a little D&C Institute class with him so that when we are at his place we are actually doing something resembling missionary work. He is a sweet guy, I really hope he doesn’t die while I am here. He is actually really sick with the flu right now and I am worried. I guess he doesn’t have much of an immune system and only half a lung. So keep Brother Mike in your prayers. 

Our zone is all right, we have some sweet guys. Elder Madsen is in our zone, which I am stoked about, as is Elder Ndlovu who is still in Fish Hoek. I just missed Elder Gillespie. Transfer day was pretty awesome, getting to see guys like Elder Nkosi, Elder Jones, and others. 

Oh, one little adjustment is that the car we have is one of the new Toyota Etios, or Etoys as we call them here. Here is a list of features this car is missing that I did not know were really optional: RPM gauge, pockets at the back of the front seats, a stereo of any kind (I guess we really don’t need this one), central locking(?), let alone power windows or an automatic transmission. So I have been learning how to drive a manual. I actually can kinda do it, even in Cape Town traffic! The Etios is like totally made of plastic. But hey, a car is a car I guess. 

Anyway, well love you all!
Elder Martin


Oh today is the start of Zone Leader Council, so that will be cool, I am excited. It goes till Wednesday morning and we stay in the mission home. 

Luthando, a super stud returned missionary we took teaching with us a lot.

Apollonia, who's name comes from Acts 17
always (always) had to feed us something when we came.
Zimbabweans are awesome.

The Bell family

Saying goodbye to Candice

No comments:

Post a Comment