Well, this week was kinda lame. It’s been getting pretty cold lately, especially in the morning, which I am sad to say has been a great stumbling block in my following the missionary schedule. But I have resolved this week to stop being a baby and get up on time and make my studies more effective. I have noticed what a difference having a good study has in my day, and I hope to be able to remember that throughout my mission and when I get home.
As for our investigators, really the highlight this week is Johnny. He came to church for the third time (although we haven’t gotten him to stay for all three blocks yet) and is progressing nicely. He said reading the Book of Mormon has brought him a lot of peace in his life. We taught him the word of wisdom on friday, and he has began to try to quit smoking. Hopefully he can do it. Its seems that to get anyone baptized in this area they have to stop smoking first. He has quit smoking before and wants to stop, I pray he can do it. He is hopefully going to take us fishing for P-Day next week, which will be a lot of fun if it works out.
All of our other investigators are really struggling. The Naidoos missed church again this week and I am not sure why. They said on Saturday they would definitely be there. They have acknowledged that their commitment is starting waver and that they need to get it together. I am kinda worried about them, I thought for sure Prineta would be baptized this transfer but here we are in week 6 and her and Rajan really haven’t decided on a date yet. I pray that they figure it out soon.
We finally saw Theo after like almost a week and a half. He admitted that he is in pretty deep with drugs and is really struggling, and does not think that baptism is going to happen in the foreseeable future. He actually wants to leave Helenvale and go some where else so that he can figure his life out, I think its a good idea. But I guess that would also mean leaving Duwayne which I am sure is one of the only good influences in his life. I think that he will come around someday, I am just not sure what more we can do to help him. I think we are about done working much in Helenvale, I think Duwyane is really an exception to the rule there.
Transfers are this next week and I am looking forward to some change, whether that means I am in a new area or the district is just a little different. I feel the work has stagnated a little in Cleary, and it needs some new blood. Elder Nielsen, who has been here for 6 months is really ready to go, will be definitely moving somewhere. Elder Wolfgramm is great, but I am becoming aware of how some of the things he/we do are starting to really diminish our effectiveness. He isn’t really one you can push into anything, so sometimes its hard to get him to tract if thats not something he really wants to do. We still get along well, its just If I am here another transfer it’s going to have to be a little different, cause I want to see some more baptisms and this branch sure needs some more priesthood holders. I should find out pretty soon about transfers, cause Elder Wolfgramm just came from the office and is really tight with one of the Elders there and he will tell us what’s going on. Transfers are kinda scary and exciting at the same time, it could be really good or really bad.
Anyway, I hope this email doesn’t sound too whiney. This has just been and interesting week and I have seen how I need to do better. I am optimistic for this week and what the future holds. Zone Conference was this week and we received some great inspired training on how to be better missionaries which I thought was really pertinent. Anyway, I love you all!
-Elder Martin
P.S. One thing I forgot to say is that Duwayne actually showed up at presidents home the other night to go home teaching and surprised president. He will whip this branch into shape. He is dead set on a mission which is pretty cool, he is looking for a new job so he can save more money for one.
![]() |
| Family Home Evening with the Pyne Family, Duwayne, & Mathew. |
![]() |
| The Cleary District on a pier at Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth. |
![]() |
| Elders Wolfgramm and Martin |



No comments:
Post a Comment