Monday, June 18, 2012

Getting Transferred...


Hello everyone,

Yes, this week was much better. I tried a lot harder to get up on time and to make my studies a lot more meaningful, and I felt the difference it made. 

Unfortunately, I am getting transferred. I found out yesterday that Elder Nielsen and Davuke were getting white washed out and Elder McDonald, the former AP [assistant to the president] was coming to train here. So I was thought I was going to stay and Elder McDonald seemed like a sweet dude and I thought would be the change the area needed—it still might be, but I won’t be here. I am going to East London! East London 3rd Ward. My companion is going to be Elder Hauma (spelling), an African from I think Zimbabwe who has been out a year. He was serving in Zambia and had to come here because of visa issues. He has only been in the mission for like a transfer, so no one knows him too well, but Elder Wolfgramm met him and said he seems like a sweet guy. So I guess I’ll meet him wednesday after a 6 hour bus ride to East London. 

It’s kinda bitter sweet, in some ways I am glad I am leaving, but I am going to miss this area and the Elders I am serving around. I really have enjoyed this transfer with Elder Wolfgramm, he is a sweet dude, and I have learned things this transfer about how to be a better missionary. East London 3rd sounds like a sweet ward. I am told I will have DA’s every night and there is a really sweet lady who takes care of all the missionaries there. Oh yeah and I will still be in a walking/biking area.

Well, one thing that happened this week is that I got certified (I think I am certified now?) to drive. Its been kinda interesting, kinda like taking drivers ed again except this time with a car full of twenty-year-olds who mock your every wrong move. I probably deserved it though, cause I did turn onto the wrong side of the road a couple of times. Cars park on both sides of the road here so sometimes it gets confusing. Its also a lot more urban then I am used to so it can be a little hectic. But I am doing fine driving now, we got to use the car Friday morning cause Elder Nielsen had a training meeting. It was super nice to have a car, you can get a lot more done. But a walking area is nice too, it will help keeps all these DA’s off me.

Well, update on what happened in Cleary this week. Monday we went to see Richard, that super golden-seeming older dude that we saw earlier but then found out his sister was a member who was actually asking for her name to be removed from the records of the church. When we saw him he still seemed super golden. We gave him a Book of Mormon, he wanted to pay for it and when we said no, he said he really needs to read it then. We were really stoked but then he dropped our appointment that Friday. He has been really busy with helping remodel his daughters house, but its just kinda weird we are having such difficulty getting in contact with him.

Let see, Johny went to Grahmstown without telling us, so when we went to his house and all his puppies had like escaped and were pooping all over his yard and his car was still there I seriously thought he was dead and we were going to have to break down his door. But then he called and he was just out of town. We dropped in on him on saturday and he was sick so he didn’t come to church this sunday.

We met this guy named conrad. He is super nice, but might be mentally handicapped. When we knocked on his door he let us in and was like nervously talking to us and didn’t think he had time but asked me to look at his clock and tell him what time it was.The hands on the clock were stopped, and I told him that and he said, ok, then I have time. It was pretty funny. We took Duwayne with us again to see him, and he really wanted to come to church, but didn’t really have a way, so Duwayne offered to walk up to Malabar (kinda a ways) and walk back down with him to catch a taxi. Duwayne did just that and Conrad really enjoyed church. In gospel principles class he kept saying “True word?” kinda like he wanted me to confirm that it was indeed true, which was kinda funny. Like a I said, he is a sweet guy, but the branch doesn’t need another crazy so I guess that will be a judgement call for Elder Wolfgramm and Elder Tukuafue (another American-Tongan guy that is coming to replace me). Duwayne was being a stud to take him though. I was pretty impressed by his charity. He also gave 50 cents to this kid who I don’t even think was like a beggar or anything. I told him he was making me feel bad and he said he knew if I had some I would have given it. Anyway, needless to say Duwayne is an excellent example to me and I am going to miss that guy.

Another thing thats looking good for the area is that a referral from our ward mission leader who we taught like once came to church yesterday. His name is Clayton. He is a nice guy but after one or two lessons with Elder Bangerter and I he kinda started to drop a ton of appointments and and run from us. But we taught him yesterday and I think he is really ready to make a change in his life and really wants to be taught.

Another interesting incident this week was on wednesday we were tracting in Malabar because our appointments had fallen through. It was raining pretty good and we most of the houses were hindus or muslims. Anyway, these two guys pull up in a jeep cherokee and ask us if we needed a ride. We said no, but asked if they wanted to here a message about Jesus Christ, they said sure and told us to get into the car and we could talk. They seemed like really nice guys, both clean cut and middle aged. Anyway, it was raining and we were wet so we said sure, we got in there car, they drove a little up the street parked, and we started talking. Turns out they were brothers and both doctors. And Muslim. But we talked with them for like an hour and half. I think they were subtly trying to convert us to Islam, but it was enjoyable to visit with them and I learned a lot about Muslim beliefs, some of which aren’t far from our own. I guess we had knocked on there door and talked to one through the intercom, and he said no but then felt guilty that these two young men had come to him a with a message from God so they stopped when they saw us. We left them a Book of Mormon and restoration pamphlet. Maybe something will come of it, I could tell they were both pretty good guys.

Well, I am trying to think of anything else to report on. Oh yes, the Naidoos. We talked to them on saturday and it sounded like they were doing really good, reading the Book of Mormon as a family and they said we would definitely see them at church, but they didn’t show. I am not sure whats going on with them.

Anyway, this was a good week, and I am glad to be leaving the area on a high note and still a lot of potential, but I am sad I wont be here to continue to see the branch grow. I think its good though, I am excited to serve in East London, sounds like I am going to a sweet area so I feel blessed because of that. Love you all and have a great week!

-Elder Martin

Duwayne and Elder Kaleb Martin

Elders Wolfgramm and Martin

Elders Martin and Wolfgramm


No comments:

Post a Comment