Wow, what a week!
Well, I guess lets start from Monday. Monday and Tuesday was spent saying a lot of goodbyes. It was sad to say goodbye, especially to Duwayne and the Pyne family, who I have really grown to love. It was also nice because I could tell that they were all pretty bummed too and had some pretty nice things to say, so I left feeling like I had made a difference. Transfers were hectic, I rode a very packed bus from Port Elizabeth to East London. Usually these buses leave early in the morning, but for some reason ours (I was leaving with a few other missionaries) did not leave till 5:30, and it was an hour late so we did not start the 4 hour journey till 6:30. I was smooshed between a big Xhosa momma and another guy with my knees touching, which was bearable at first cause they were playing The Fugitive and Fast Five over the TV, but when they started playing Pinocchio I was about ready to kill myself. We arrived in East London late but safely.
East London 3rd is a sweet ward. It is 100% town, no township (there are still some ghetto parts though). The leadership here is powerful, things get done. There are a lot of YSA [young single adults] here preparing for missions, and I think 3 or 4 already out, so that means lots of fellowshippers. We get dinner appointments almost every night, there is an organist, no priesthood meltdowns, and even an institute building across the street from the chapel (I think there are only 3 or 4 in South Africa). Things are sweet here. I am very excited to be serving in this area. We live next to Sister Peggy, an 89 year old women who is the missionaries ‘mom’. She can fix some of my clothes and every Monday we eat with her and then play phase ten with her. And the senior couple who work here are the Fowers, who are also sweet. So there are a lot things going for this area.
As for Quincey being here, yeah thats pretty crazy. Her and Holly (Liz and Quincey’s roommate who I met in January) spoke in Sacrament meeting yesterday, so it was pretty surreal going up after the sacrament to introduce myself to the ward and then being followed to the podium by Quincey. What are the chances. As for it being a distraction I think it will be fine, the only thing I am a little worried about is it creating a lot of drama with missionaries and the ward, but the district leaders and zone leaders know that I know her, and I will just be very careful to do nothing that could be misinterpreted.
As for the missionaries I am serving with. We are in a 4 man boarding; they are all nice guys. My companion Elder Hama has a very interesting history. He is a converted Johovah Witness (most of his family are still). He is from Joburg, allegedly skipped 2 weeks of the MTC because the Joburg mission needed him to serve in the field, went to Zhim, the mission split, went to Zambia for a year and is now here, but because he is only been in this mission for a transfer, he does things a little differently, so it has been a learning experience. He is a really good teacher, so I feel I will learn a lot this transfer in how to be a better teacher.
Anyway, the work here seems pretty good, we have taught a few people already that seem pretty golden. Anyway, that has pretty much been the week. Oh yeah, and our dinner appointment last night was with a family with all these little kids. It felt just like home with one of kids making another cry every 10 minutes and the dad geeking out about his smart phone. It made my miss you guys. I am glad Isaac’s baptism went well, I was thinking about him the yesterday. I love all of you guys.
Love,
Elder Martin
P.S. Oh and yeah getting transferred kinda sucks, you don’t know where anything is or whats going on. I felt pretty green again (probably cause I am) but I am starting to get my bearings again.
No comments:
Post a Comment