Monday, September 2, 2013

Hectic Week

Well its been a crazy week. Long leadership meeting on Tuesday, exchanges on Wednesday with the Assistants, exchanges on Friday with Elder Madsen. Both exchanges I ended up staying up till like 1 talking and still had to get up at 6:30. Kinda killed me. Its hard to catch up on sleep as a missionary, but I think I am good now. 

Its been a rough car week too. So unlike the Chevy Aveo, which if you left the lights on the car would turn them off automatically, the Etios doesn’t. So I left the lights on for the Leadership training and when we finished the car was super dead. Us and a couple other missionaries, with Brother Mike (he catered lunch) and President supervising tried numerous times to push it up the hill and start it like that. It wasn’t working and we had no jumper cables, so we ended up riding back to the mission office with President. We then went with the APs to jump it. So that was Tuesday. Sunday, I did the same thing, I left the lights on. Fortunately we discovered after President left (President attends the Mowbray ward if he isn’t somewhere else, and Sunday was the first time since I’ve been here) cause I don’t know if he would think it was as funny the second time in a week. This time Elder Giddey (the recently called Area Seventy) and his son tried to help us jump it. I am not sure what was wrong, but he might have had the cables reversed cause it was arcing and melting the cables. We eventually figured it out, got the car started. But then the accelerator did nothing. Elder Giddy left and a member of the bishopric discovered we had blown the fuse for the gas injection. So we replaced that. That all took like and hour and a half, and the engine light was still on so we went to the office and swapped for one of the brand new Etios. Maybe we just weren’t meant to go to our 3 o’clock appointment, it was in Hanover Park, a really sketchy area. 

We had a really nice day yesterday later though. We went and visited these two kids, Dylan (12) and Miyabowe (11) who have been attending church with a member for almost a year now and want to be baptized. We have been given the OK to baptize them once we teach them the missionary lessons. We also met there families last night and make appointments to start teaching them.

I really enjoyed exchanges with Elder Madsen. I made a first round of Mexican feast, which was really nice but the next morning caused some intestinal distress. 

Me and Elder Khoni are tying to meet members more so I cold called a member I didn’t know and made an appointment to come by the evening. He turned out to be a super pretentious less active. His profession is to facilitate drum circles. And he is an old white man. He was trying very hard to show us how apathetic he was towards the church and us. Some of our favorite quotes: Him- “You’ll never catch me dead back at church!” Us- “Why not” him- “because of the people, all the people. And they want me to do... things!” and also us- “can we leave with a prayer?” him- “I was expecting that. I suppose.” Me- “can I say it?” Him- “I suppose I don’t really care.” Elder Madsen almost busted up three times during the 20 minutes we were there. 

Lets see, other things of note. This morning we ended up doing a service project for most of our studies and a little bit after for a family in Fish Hoek. They needed us and 6 other Elders to come help clean a house. It was pretty bad. 

Well, I think that’s it. Love you all!

-Elder Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment