Its been a busy week! We left Monday for the Eastern Cape, and didn’t get back till Friday, when we moved out of the office. So I have not been able to email much.
The Eastern Cape was pretty cool. I had the chance to go to Queenstown and Mthatha, two places I had never been. Elder Jones has served both places so we could find our way around fine. We did exchanges with the Zone Leaders in Queenstown. Queenstown is pretty small, it kinda reminded me of like parts of Eastern or Southern Utah. It was pretty hot there! The Zone Leader area is very Xhosa, it was interesting to meet some people there. I met Luthando’s (an awesome RM who is schooling and attending in PE) family there.
So a side note about some problems the mission are dealing with. Two cars were totaled this week in the eastern cape. Both were on unauthorized exchanges. One was in Kwano (a zone leader). The driver spent the night in jail! That same night, in Mthatha, two greenies apparently just left there companions and went off “cruising.” I guess they were speeding, hit a patch of mud lost control of the car, went over the median and over the sidewalk on the other side of the road, probably totaling there car as well. We had a conversation about it with them when we got to Mthatha. There was a lot of stupid stuff involved, like they didn’t have a phone, walked home after they wrecked their car and then another missionary drove them back to the wreck, leaving there district leader at the boarding(!?). So its been interesting.
The drive between QT and Mthatha and Mthatha and EL was pretty entertaining. It is really Africa out there, in the “rural areas” lots and lots of little villages. I’ll try send pictures soon. We had to stop a few times because cows and goats or sheep were in the road. I also enjoyed listening to some lectures Elder Jones had on MP3 (Dr Truman G. Madsen’s “Timeless Questions, Gospel Insights”) I absolutely loved them.
In EL we went on exchanges in the big township Mdantsane. It has been interesting to see some of these areas I haven’t been able to serve in before.
Right before we left EL we went with the EL 3 ward Elders to teach Thandi and Sinazo. Sinazo got baptized yesterday! They are doing really well. It was great to see them.
Friday night we moved, it was a pretty exhausting day. I am still not unpacked and we are leaving again tomorrow for a couple days. I was on exchanges with Elder Khoni in my old area on Saturday, but some good stuff is happening in our area right now. Elder Jones gave a few more baptismal dates, and we are really pushing to have Mondakazi, the 11 year old girl, interviewed by this weekend.
Today is a training for the new Elders and their trainers. We took them to signal hill today, we have to drive them to the mission home like now for the training, so I got to run. I’ll try to send pictures and stuff tomorrow.
Love,
Elder Martin
No comments:
Post a Comment